Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sleepless at the Howarth's

Cade turned two in September and the "terrible two's" have definitely set in - during the night, at least. For just under a month now Cade has been waking up during the night and refusing to either go back to sleep or sleep alone in his room. Some nights we are up "dealing" with him for a few hours with no sleep ourselves! I am starting to dread nights! We have tried a few different things to help calm him when he wakes up during the night and they usually work for a night or two but then the novelty wears off and we are back to square one again! To make matters worse, Cade is waking up for the day sometime between 5:45am and 6:30am so he is also short on sleep (by 10am he is exhausted and ready for a much-to-early nap himself).
And then there is Remy. She was doing so well at night before Cade started acting up. Then once Cade started having night issues Remy started waking up a little more frequently as well. If Cade is sleeping when Remy wakes up I usually find myself running to her room to nurse her so she doesn't wake her difficult brother. Since I have been "running to her rescue" she has become accustomed to waking 2 times a night for feeds (12am and 4am) and is also waking up nice and early (usually before 7:30am). Let's just say I am exhausted. Between waking up with Remy and Caden I am losing more and more sleep each night!
I know I am not alone in this nightly battle. I have spoken with a few other mom's who are dealing with similar situations. However, I feel like I am coming to the end of my rope and my patience is quickly running out. I don't know what I am going to do to get my little monster (Cade) to sleep through the night again but, I need to find something quickly. If anyone out there has any suggestions I am pretty much willing to try anything.

1 comments:

momatrey said...

Dear Sleepless in Calgary
My sympathies to you all! I remember those days and all I can offer for advice is ....to hang in there baby!
If it is any comfort just know that by high school he will be sleeping lots more! Just kidding, you are a great mom, remember to take breaks and for heavens sake take those kids to grandma's! She doesn't need much sleep!!
love you tons
Aunt Teresa