Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Great Escape

This afternoon Remy was refusing to take a nap (even though she really needed one)! So after what felt like an hour of her crying I decided to go upstairs to rock her for a few minutes. I told Cade to stay downstairs and watch his show and that I would be back in a few minutes (this is what I always do when I go to put Remy down for a nap). After about 5-6minutes of rocking Remy she was fast asleep so I put her down in her crib, quietly snuck out of her room, and went downstairs....

As I was coming down the stairs I could feel freezing cold air rushing into the house (???) and then I noticed that the front door was WIDE OPEN. Next I saw Cade standing outside wearing a pair of Brian's slippers, his blue underwear and a t-shirt! Cade had managed to unlock the deadbolt and the lock on the handle, open the door and 'escape' into the freezing cold. I ran outside and picked him up and realized he was freezing.

Obviously he was outside for more than just a few seconds. For all I know he was outside the minute I went upstairs. It astonishes me how quickly things can happen - and preventable things at that. Cade learns and discovers new things each day - it is truly scary! I guess I should count my lucky stars that he didn't take of running (which I can totally see Cade doing)! I am also going to chalk this one up to an important lesson learned and will be making a quick stop at Home Depot to get some 'kiddie locks' for my exterior doors now.

2 comments:

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

How scary, but i can totally picture him standing out there with Brians slippers on. Did he try and run when we went to get him?

Bryan and Kat said...

Isn't it a scary thing? Mason has escaped from Bryan TWICE out onto the deck. The sad part is we have those "kiddie locks". They really do work we just have to teach Bryan how to make sure the door is latched all the way! :) Gotta love our kids!