Friday, July 10, 2009

Calgary Stampede Parade 2009

Every year Calgary hosts the 'Calgary Stampede' and to kick off the Stampede there is a huge parade downtown Calgary. This year my Dad bought us all tickets (so we would have reserved seats on bleachers, promising a great view) so we packed up the kids and headed downtown for a morning of fun.

The kids each got a new cowboy hat. Cade loved his, Remy couldn't care much less about hers. They were cute though. The day we went out to buy their hats I told Cade,

Me: " We are going to the store to buy you and Remy new cowboy hats"
Cade: "Cade very excited, Mommy! Cade buy hat and ride a horse"!

I have NO CLUE why he was able to associate a cowboy hat with a horse but he did. After we bought his hat he told me it was time to go ride the horse, silly boy.



Cade's hat had a whistle - big mistake!

The RCMP even joined in the fun marching through the parade. I love the look of these guys!

G-ma, Cade and Remy enjoying the parade. Cade was really good. He sat and watched the different things go by. Remy, on the other hand, wasn't such a joy. She wiggled and wiggled and it was a struggle to keep her content!

Finally, Remy gave in and had a snooze in G-ma's arms. I guess all that wiggling really tired her out!

This bull was HUGE. I still can't believe it just walked through the streets so calmly!
Overall, it was a lot of fun. Cade had a really good time watching the different floats, animals, bands and dancers make their way through the streets. I think we will definitely make this a yearly tradition (although we may wait until the kids get just a touch older)!
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the actual Stampede Grounds this year. We planned to go tonight but, a few nights ago Brian ended up with stitches in the bottom of his foot. So, he isn't able to walk around for very long - maybe next year!

0 comments: