WHAT A NIGHT
Early last week (Tuesday to be exact) I finished weaning Remy onto a bottle. She was doing great. She took to the bottle really well and was drinking at least 4-5oz at each feeding. I was thrilled especially since until this point she has never really taken a bottle (or a soother). She has always just been more interested in...ME!Then Thursday morning she woke up with the FLU. She had a fever, was throwing up and was just not herself. Friday wasn't much better. She was still sick, poor girl. Obviously she wasn't very interested in eating - solids or formula - but, I wasn't that worried about it since she had the flu. By Saturday she had perked up however, she was still refusing the bottle.
To make a long story short, since Thursday she has maybe consumed 1-2oz of fluid each day (she should be taking in 24-32oz in a day). She is also consuming about 1/2 the amount of solid food as she usually eats. Both of these combined equaled one dry baby.
So, last night I called the Calgary Health Link (a line where you can speak with a R.N) to find out just how long I could allow her to go with so little fluids. Of course, the nurse completely freaked me out and asked me to head to either a walk-in clinic or the children's hospital. So, we headed to the only walk-in clinic still open and made it just in time. We saw the doctor who told me that indeed Remy was dry but, not enough to be concerned just yet. So, back home we went.
When we got home I figured I would offer her more formula before I put her back to bed and the little stinker drank nearly 6oz! I guess she finally figured out how concerned I was after I hauled her out into the cold at 9:30pm.
She is still sleeping now and we are hoping for a good day with LOTS to drink!
Moral of this story - don't let the health link nurses freak you out! Stay in bed and call the doctor in the morning!



4 comments:
awww ... poor little girl! I'm glad she's drinking more now!
NO NO NO, do let the Health Link Freak you out, Claire gets dehydrated in a heartbeat, When she gets a fever she usually ends up in the hospital on an I.V, because there fever just burns up her fluids. She even drinks like 4 8oz bottles and juice cups all day, and for some reason gets dehydrated. IT SUCKS, I am so glad that remy didn't end up in the hospital! WHAT A BLESSING
Oh, Rough. Fin ended up in the hospital in the summer due to dehydration, made for a really long night. That cracks me up about Cade, just squattin' down to do a number on the carpet! Super funny.
I'm with ya chels! The health nurse did the same thing to us. They totally freaked us out and had us go to emerg at 10pm with a toddler. Then the doctor comes in and makes us feel like overreacting parents and says she's fine. She's just sick. "Just keep her hydrated". I guess better safe than sorry, right?
Post a Comment